Magento Expert Forum - Improve your Magento experience

access new Magento install using the same domain as a live production store elsewhere

alex77

Red face access new Magento install using the same domain as a live production store elsewhere

Hi,

I have 2 hosting accounts - an old VPS account and a new CLOUD account. I have an old version of Magento (1,3,1) running on the old VPS hosting account (this needs to be the active one because I have all my products there and it is the current production store). I want to upgrade by just doing a fresh install of the Magento 1,9,1 version so I created a new MYDOMAIN.com account on the cloud server and then I installed the new Magento shopping cart there (1,9,1). I planned to access that by using the IP address (numerical IP address and then the account user name) but now - when I click on the IP address in the list of hosting accounts in the WHM (basically just try to access the new shopping cart by it's actuall IP address and a user name on the server) - it automatically loads the actual MYDOMAIN.com website (on the old server). I mean - the old website suppose to be the one active (loading from the VPS hosting account) but at the same time - I need to work on the new version of the shopping cart before it's all ready to go live (change design, add hundreds of products etc.)

How can I work with this new version of the Magento shopping cart without it reverting to the (old) production site?

Thanks,

Allysin

PS: Is this something in the htaccess file or something like that?

PS2: The hosting company replied this but I don't really understand it...

The easiest way to work on your new Magento site is to create a subdomain within your account MYDOMAIN.com .
    You will have to create new folder within public_html or wherever you like and call it, for example test.

Then, within your cPanel account merge that subdomain with created folder and you can start testing.
    Of course, you will have to copy content to newly created folder.

I cannot have a special directory where Magento resides I think because of the SEO links would not be the same as in the old store...

Thanks again for any suggestions. ;-)

View more threads in the same category:

Thanks

Hi,
    Your hosting company is simply saying to create a new directory for you new shopping cart website (magento 1.9). Did you purchased a new domain name or you are trying to access the same old domain using numeric IP.

Regards
    Pulkit
    http://www.pulkitseth.com

Thanks

Default access new Magento install using the same domain as a live production store elsewhere

even if I modify db.php, and restart Apache, still I can not login. it stops at page .../login/sysLoginVerify.

why?
    thanks