Magento Expert Forum - Improve your Magento experience

Duplicate content w/ multiple stores?

Thanks

Default Duplicate content w/ multiple stores?

Brand new to the forum. I've been using Magento 1.9 for the past 6 months and have had fixed results with SEO.

I have my shop setup with a default .com store. I also have a .co.uk store, .ca store and .in store. I have collected these domains over the years and decided to use them. In the end, I copied Amazon's platform where each store shares the same products, product images, product descriptions, etc. There is little to now difference between each product visible on any store. I figured that Google or other search engines, would essentially separate co.uk content for co.uk search engine results, Canada for Canada, etc. That hasn't happened.

Basically, my SEO guy has come to me and says that my international top level domains are becoming the top referring source for my .com site! In other words, Google is starting to look at each store as being on in the same and with so much of the content being identical it's hurting me.

At this point, I'm toying with two ideas. #1, just removing the other stores and 301 redirecting all the traffic to my .com site. Or #2, making unique content for each store view including product images and descriptions. There are two major problems with #2 as I see it. First off, that is a ton of new content to add. Basically with 63+ products and 3 additional stores, I'm looking at 189 new descriptions and 189 new product images. The other BIG problem is that I still share CMS pages like about us, shipping rates, etc which will take a lot of custom content as custom variables to change.

Like I said, I don't get it because Amazon shares every product and category across multiple stores. They seem to rank just fine. Or is Amazon just a different kind of beast that you can't compare any other site to?

Just wondering if at this option, it's unique content or that's it? Looking for best suggestions.

View more threads in the same category:

Thanks

There are two type of duplicate content: duplicate content on different domains and duplicate content on the same domain. They're both common occurrences and difficult to avoid, except one damages your SEO and your website in general.
    UK Hoverboard For Sale|Buy Push Scooters |Electric Scooter UK|Segways for sale UK|best electric skateboard|Segways for sale UK|electric skateboard cheap|electric skateboards UK|Hoverboard Cart|Buy Ebike UK|Drones for Sale UK|
    segway black Friday|All Terrain Hoverboard|Drone sale UK|Mini Drone uk|Driving schools Birmingham|Driving school Birmingham|Argos Hoverboard

Thanks

Duplicate content doesn't cause your site to be penalized. Googlers know that users want diversity in the search results and not the same article over and over, so they choose to consolidate and show only one version. ... Duplicate content is not grounds for action unless its intent is to manipulate search results.