Magento Expert Forum - Improve your Magento experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most Valuable Traffic Sources

Thanks

Default Most Valuable Traffic Sources

Every site owner is concerned about incoming site traffic. It’s getting more and more difficult to get a bigger slice of that traffic pie because the competition is severe. It seems like a lot of opportunities exist, but we should ask ourselves what are the richest traffic sources.

Let’s turn to Alexa ranking for some reliable data. Looking at its TOP 50 sites listing we can see something interesting: 40% among the sites with highest reach are search engines. 12% are blogs and 8% are sites for online shopping. See the diagram below.

Name:  file_8.png
Views: 277
Size:  13.8 KB
    Source: Alexa.com

And not very surprising is the fact that 22% of sites by quantity are Google.com and Google’s local versions. So the first thing we should consider when trying to increase traffic is still search engine optimization.

The second biggest sector is Blogs. Content is the king. People want more valuable content and providing it may be the primary function of the Internet. Micro blogs (like Twitter) are also included into this sector. People want to know what’s happening and what others think about this. Thus in the name of traffic you should be professional, interesting and very active. You may have your own blog or give other bloggers a reason to write about you.

Even while being a representative of eCommerce industry, you may take advantage of the traffic that major online shopping sites attract. It might be useful to have your products listed on Amazon.com or eBay.com for the sake of more sales and more traffic to your site. There are quite a few integration opportunities for Magento and these sites. You can choose extensions or online platforms as well third party services for integration. All of them provide simple creation and management of product listings, automated synchronization of stocks and prices and many more features.

Social networks is the smallest specified sector in the diagram, yet it’s very important. It contains Facebook, which has 44% reach worldwide. Facebook is probably the only site today which is able to compete with Google.com in worldwide reach. All other sites have a significantly smaller reach. See the diagram below.

Name:  file_9.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  32.0 KB
    Source: Alexa.com

If we take a look at reach in the USA and some European countries, the situation is only slightly different. See the table below.

Name:  alexa.png
Views: 139
Size:  24.3 KB

So, the main conclusions are the following:

The major traffic sources for online retailers are search engines. And the main, of course, is Google, no matter where your business is located. That is why search engine optimization should be your priority when trying to increase traffic to your store.
    After SEO is done or maybe at the same time, be active in creating interesting content for your business niche and post it not only on your blog pages, but also use blogging services. And keep in mind that a good blog on your site can also contribute to your SEO efforts.
    It might make be useful to have your products listed on major online shopping sites.
    Presence and activity in social networks is important and useful for generating yet more quality traffic to your store.
    And be creative in ways to get some direct traffic: offer your customers something to have them coming back to your site, use offline promotions, and do whatever else makes sense for your business.

What is your experience with increasing traffic to your store? Please share in comments below.

View more threads in the same category:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ccvv For This Useful Post:

VishalBhatt123 (22-08-2013)

Thanks

According to me!
    Every site owner is concerned about incoming site traffic.It seems like a lot of opportunities exist, but we should ask ourselves what are the richest traffic sources.I agree with your diagram!
    Make me suggestion!

SEO Consultant

Thanks

All the site owner's need lot of back links and traffic from many sites and they don't think that this traffic comes from which site. So, mainly traffic comes from Google natural links..

M-Connect Media an eCommerce Design Agency

Thanks

Its a very huge infographic on traffic sources, i never received such an information...anyway good to share this valuable information with us...i hope this is enough on traffic..

Thanks

Traffic is a huge concern for any website owner indeed. Your information, pictorial representation and graph of various traffic sources is quite helpful and great. Thanks a ton for sharing this valuable article with us.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Hi ,

Thanks for sharing such a very informative information with us.
    As i am handling all the marketing campaign in my organization , this article will help me planning the new concepts for my business.

Regards,

Thanks

Page content is the most important traffic source for any site. But, the main thing is that how to use that content on the pages & how to put it on meta tags, descriptions & headers. Before writing a content don't miss step to research on keywords.

Thanks

Thanks for this valuable information. I want to add little more, as with the help of unique Web Design and innovative technologies , many web designing companies are providing web designs to their clients. Now a days the main goal is to get their websites to the top of the popular search engines. There are many web design companies in Pensacola which provide web designs and also create traffic in search engines. More traffic means more popularity and more revenue.

Thanks

Hi

Magento itself a SEO friendly Module.

You can add me on skype: iweballey.dharmesh

Best Regards,
    DSk

3227 Jessie Street Washington Court House, OH 43160
    Thanks

There are so many ways to gain more traffic to your site. But only a few of them are very effective.

Thanks

Hi,

Every site owner is concerned about incoming site traffic.
    So there are lots of way to generate the organic traffic on the website by SEO.

Check the few details from http://ilovemage.com/

Regards,
    Samm
    Team ILM

Thanks

I go through your message and it took me especially effectively and I believe loads of this information and facts might be beneficial to all of us else. I've like all of you will have a modest website, and it builds for the design and style within the web-site. For those who need an individual, please pay a visit to my website to a bar .

web design inspiration

Thanks

Good going discussion with great knowledge.
    CCVV the graph detailing about social site importance to incoming website traffic is very informational and interesting. There are other social platforms too that helps increasing the traffic just for an example StumbleUpon, pinterest, XING, Apsense.. etc.

Thanks

Tremendous it is especially for the people who are trying to grow everyday in a certain way and that works appropriately.Most of the times when we get to learn how appropriately we all need to work on things we get a way that help us with doing better and so is your chart is surely it can leave a positive impact on site.

Thanks

Very interesting and good post. Thank you so much.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing such a nice information. Traffic sources mostly includes social media such as facebook yahoo, Google & others.

Thanks

The info-graphics shared by you are really very helpful to come across the factors, which helps to boost the traffic of a website. For all the website, organic searches will be more so traffic from Google will be more as compared to any other sources. After Google, comes social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks

Search Engine traffic is your best source of free traffic. In order to get that traffic, you need to be found by their spiders and have good optimized page content to rank well in the search results -- otherwise known as SERPS.

Thanks

Do proper sEO such as On page and Off page . both are valuable techniques to improve the website traffic.

Thanks

Writing unique content is the most important traffic source. Use title tag, meta tag, heading tag while you are writing content. After that getting high PR backlinks for the website. And use social media merketing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast